Painting the Impressionistic Landscape
with Ann Willsie
This two day workshop is designed for beginners and intermediate students who want to learn how to loosen up - all mediums welcome. Ann works in oils, but you are welcome to bring acrylics/watercolors, pastels, etc.
Each day will begin with a brief talk about painting challenges, how and where to get inspired, andovercoming the fear of the blank canvas. All questions are welcomed about the process of painting and any issues/problems you may face.
Choosing the right photo for your painting is key, and we will talk about the compositional challenges, overall design and tonal values of the images chosen for our painting.
A live demo will follow, starting with the underpainting, sketching in the composition and where to go from there. Ann will also be demonstrating how using different brushstrokes can help you to loosen up your style and become more impressionistic.
You will be spending most of the day painting, so please bring lots of images to choose from, as well as all your materials. Attached is a supply list for your information – this is only a guideline – please feel free to bring your own favorite brushes/paints.
I recommend that you bring some large canvasses to the class – it is easier to paint a larger painting and will help to loosen you up , and most importantly, to have fun doing it.
· Images to paint from – please bring a variety of photos to choose from
· Canvasses – I encourage you to try something on the larger size (24 x 30 max)
· Various Brushes – your favorites
· Paints – My palette consists of these Oil Paints: Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna, Alizaron Crimson, Cadmium Red, Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Titanium White, and Dioxazine Purple – please feel free to use your own palette of colors
· Paper Towel and saran wrap
· Jar with lid for water/mineral spirits
Please phone the studio to make a reservation - 604-250-5562, or use the contact feature on the main page.
Cost: $250 inclusive. Payments can be made in person, by mailing a cheque, or e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org.